Sportfishing: Freshwater and Saltwater Fishing Jobs and Career Resources
Fishing or angling in fresh or saltwater is a well known sport and industry worldwide and is comprised of companies that distribute and/or manufacture fishing tackle, apparel, gear and equipment and footwear. There are many types of sportfishing as well as an infinite number of locations to fish. Gear and equipment are specifically made for each type and/or location, with rods, reels, line and lures all adapted to the various species of fish. Bass fishing, both tournament and recreational, is probably the top fishing pursuit, followed closely by big game, bluewater offshore angling for marlin, sailfish and tuna. Trout fishing, either with spinning tackle or with fly fishing gear is also prominent. Nearshore fishing in the saltwater targets species such as halibut, fluke, flounder, striped bass, bluefish, yellowtail, redfish and cobia.
Providing services to companies that manufacture fishing tackle and gear are outside independent sales reps, independent contractors and consultants. Small to mass retailers (both online and storefront) supply and sell fishing gear and equipment to the consumer, while wholesalers play a large role as middlemen. Resorts, marinas and boat dealers and manufacturers are a significant portion of the industry, with everything from electronics to outboard motors part of the fishing scene in addition to terminal tackle. Travel is a big part of fishing and guides, charter captains and party boat operators take clients fishing in locations all over the world. An abundant number of careers and jobs in the fishing industry are available at any level. If fishing is your passion, you can make a career in the fishing industry by working for a manufacturer, distributor or service. Follow your passion!
- American Sportfishing Association
- American Outfitter and Guide Association
- American Fisheries Society
- American Fly Fishing Trade Association (AFFTA)
- Federation of Fly Fishers
- Fly Fishers International
- International Game Fish Association
- Wild Oceans
- Trout Unlimited
Trade Magazines, Newsletters
Executive Search Firms
- Frontier Talent
- Highline Outdoor Group
- Next Level Executive
- Noto Group
- The Forest Group
- The Whiting Group
Outside Sales Rep Associations
- EORA - Eastern Outdoor Reps Association
- EWSRA - Eastern Winter Sports Reps Association
- MRA - Midwest Reps Association
- NEWSR - New England Winter Sports Reps, Inc
- MWSRA- Midwest Winter Sports Resps Assn.
- Outdoor Reps Association, Inc.
- SWRA - Southeastern Winter Reps Association
- WWSRA - Western Winter Sports Reps Association
- United State Reps Association